Sunday 22 July 2007

where are all the hard copies

we are living in times where celebrityhood can be just a few strokes on your keyboard, dancing along with fame fortune and notoriety. hell its so easy to go from a nobody to a somebody to a nobody and then make a comeback literally in the same twentyfour hours. the thing is you gotta have it.......

i was on a one of my cyber haunts recently and a well known resident fashionista ( i think) posed the question: whose style influences you most. well ,we got an array of answers, from names some are not familiar with to the overwhelming response of i am my own style.. I do me!!!
wow! I said. really? i asked myself. so you're a true original huh? original like vinyl huh?. lets face it...... there is nothing more original than vinyl records.... you cant record over those, every other format you can!

i didnt post a response on that particular thread though. i really didnt know how to respond. in honesty i would like to think i try to emulate a few peoples' style..... something that is out there already mixed in with my own flair. but when i think about it, my own flair is just how i carry myself off... is it not?

are we so afraid to acknowledge the people we look up to as adults? are we in such identity crises that we feel we the need to justify our identity by shunning another? are we all hard copies? someone has to be a copy of something.

well im not afraid to say it there are men whose style i admire, cultures which i admire that influence my style greatly. im not an original.......... nah, far from it. id like to say im like a museum, or better still your perfect magazine. a collection of various pieces of work articles stories coulours and history that define who i am. from street to high fashion, the bush to the city, hiphop to punk and everything in between.


there is no harm in saying i admire the next person......

its inspiration.

No comments: